Reinforcing its commitment to the community and extending its regular support of impactful projects and good causes, Sohar Aluminium (SA) joined together with Salalah Methanol Company (SMC) and Oman India Fertiliser Company (OMIFCO) to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the Directorate General of Khoula Hospital for the funding of a Prosthetic and Orthotic Services Centre. Costing in excess of OMR150,000, the advanced new facility will provide a variety of valuable services including the assessment, prescription, design, manufacture and fitting of artificial limbs for Ministry of Health patients from across the Sultanate.
Sohar Aluminium’s CEO, Engineer, Said Al Masoudi, thanked SMC and OMIFCO for joining Sohar Aluminium in the funding of the Centre, adding: “It is a privilege to initiate this important project which will provide the highest quality of care and usage of the latest technology in prosthetic and orthotic services under one roof. This state of the art centre aims to meet the needs of people across Oman who have lost limbs and also of those who require posture and mobility support. The services provided will be dedicated to improving the ability of the patients to function normally and enable them to actively contribute in the society. Sohar Aluminium looks forward to see the progress of this centre as it fulfils its positively impactful mission.”
The MoU was also signed by Mr Awadh Al Shanfari, CEO of SMC and Mr Qassim Al Balushi, CSR Manager at OMIFCO.
“SMC considers CSR as one of its core values and principles. Hence our partnership with SA and OMIFCO and the support from our shareholder OOC to fund this centre underlines a common vision by all involved stakeholders” said Mr. Awadh Al Shanfari. He added “we all believe CSR is a culture that goes beyond our organizations’ business to integrate economic, environmental and social aspects.”
Mr Qassim Al Balushi said “This project forms one of the health sector projects funded by OMIFCO and aims to provide prosthetic limbs to the patients who are in need of such limbs to help them function and live their lives normally.”
“The collaboration and partnership between the public and private sectors is important in enhancing the cooperation between the different parties for the sake of developing economic, health, and social aspects of the society in the Sultanate” said Doctor Ali bin Muhad Al Ma’ashani, Director General of Khoula Hospital. He added: “we would like to thank the funding companies of this project”.
Located in Al Wataya adjacent to Khoula Hospital, the new Prosthetic and Orthotic Services Centre is scheduled to commence its services by the end of 2018. The centre is currently located in a temporary building and serves more than 4000 patients every year from different parts of the Sultanate, and coordinates with three small units Sohar, Nizwa and Salalah. The new 600 square meters building of the centre is planned to consist of clinics, staff offices, modifications workshops, facilities rooms, as well as workshops room. Also it will accommodate the latest technologies, furniture, equipment and tools in the field. It will also help in facilitating and mitigating the challenges faced by the staff to provide more accurate and rapid service.
Oman Oil Company (OOC) which is an investor in the three companies i.e. SA, SMC and OMIFCO, is delivering on its promise to support community development with targeted CSR programmes. As a responsible corporate citizen, OOC invests in the future of Oman by partnering and contributing to the prosperity of the Omani people through direct and tangible benefits to the communities.
Sohar Aluminium was formed in September 2004 to undertake a landmark Greenfield aluminium smelter project in the Sultanate of Oman. It is jointly owned by Oman Oil Company, Abu Dhabi National Energy Company PJSC - TAQA and Rio Tinto.
Oman India Fertiliser Company SAOC has been established, as the result of an initiative by the Governments of Oman & India, in order to construct, own and operate a modern world scale two-train ammonia-urea fertiliser manufacturing plant at the Sur Industrial Estate in the Sultanate of Oman.
Salalah Methanol Company LLC was incorporated on February 27 2006. It 90% owned by Oman Oil Company S.A.O.C. and the remaining 10% by Takamul Investment Company, S.A.O.C. EPC contractor of the plant was GS Engineering & Construction of Korea. The facility is based on Johnson Matthey, LP methanol production technology licensed by Jacobs consultancy and has a name plate capacity of 3000 Metric Tons per day.